For any business, the logo is the first thing that meets the public. It represents the business, anchors its brand and is the single most visible manifestation of the business in its target market. An effective business logo design is an essential part of the overall marketing strategy of any company.
The Face of the Company
The logo displays the company’s unique identity with images, graphics, font and color that must represent the brand as well as make the right impression on the public. An effective logo will be simple, versatile, memorable, appropriate and timeless. The logo appears on both print and online media and must be suitable for every kind of application. Logos are intended to be recognizable and inspire trust and admiration for the product or service.
Four Main Types of Logos
The four general categories of logos are:
• Textual logos only use font such as the Walt Disney logo that is the signature of Walt Disney and the name Coca Cola.
• Illustrated logos include Pepsi’s red, white and blue circle or the new Starbucks logo that only has the mermaid and no font.
• Symbolic logos such as the Nike swoosh is an abstract design that becomes associated with the brand.
• A combination of the above three types of logos is the fourth type. An example is Domino’s Pizza with the red domino and the name in a tilted square that resembles a pizza box.
What Makes a Great Logo
When successful logos are analyzed such as Apple, Twitter, General Electric and McDonalds there are some characteristics that stand out.
• Simplicity in logo design is important. This means the design needs to convey an idea without clutter. Bold lines, clear font and flat shapes are the features of simple logo design.
• Versatility means the logo looks good in any size, in black and white and in print or online media. It will be put on letterhead, business cards, in print advertising and on the website. It should be easily recognizable in each of these formats.
• Relevancy means the logo reflects the business’s values and purpose. The design should harmonize with the type of business. For example, a product for children may have a bright, colorful logo while an accountancy firm may use dignified font for its logo. Some of the best and most successful logos were not liked when they first appeared, but later became household names.
• Artistry means the logo needs to be aesthetic, appealing and attractive. It usually combines all of the elements mentioned above to make a commanding visual presence.
An effective logo will lead to increased sales and a positive feeling within the target market. It also implies competence and professionalism that reflects well on the company. Small business start-ups often make the mistake of, trying to be too clever or not giving the development of a logo enough attention. They sometimes use different logos on their letterhead, website or business cards. These are mistakes that are easily avoided if the business owners employ a professional logo designer.
A good logo will successfully express the values and mission of the company if the company behind the logo is a trusted and respected brand. New businesses must earn trust and respect from their market, but they can embody their values with an effective logo right from the beginning.