Some of the largest mobile device manufacturing companies and cell phone service operating companies worldwide dedicated themselves to developing and offering advanced smartphones with connectivity to 4G LTE networks, the largest evolution of wireless communication driven this year.
LTE is the acronym in English for the mobile broadband standard called Long Term Evolution, which is present in 4G communication networks, that is, those that correspond to the fourth generation technologies of cellular telephony. This ‘long-term evolution’ multiplies access to wireless networks to complement 3G, obviously third-generation ones.
Networks in cellular telephony are what make any type of connectivity possible. Without them, you cannot make a simple phone call, access the Internet to check your emails or follow your friends through social networks.
To explain it in the most understandable way, the magic of today’s cellular telephony consists of linking a mobile device, which could very well be a smartphone, with increasingly faster and more advanced communication networks.
These networks went from analog to digital in the blink of an eye. Therefore, almost without realizing it, they sophisticated personal communication in a relatively short time. They evolved as follows:
Speed of less than 20Kbps. Analog technology for voice transmission only. Subsequently replaced by digital networks.
A maximum speed of 3.1Mbps. Digital technology. Greater capacity and quality in voice transmission. Supports data transfer, which is increased to. 2.5G. It provides push-to-talk capability, the sending of SMS ( Short Messaging Service ) text messages, voicemail, etc.
3G – 3.5-3.7
EvDO, EVDV, HSDPA, HSUPA, FOMA UMTS, WCDMA.
A maximum speed of 7.2Mbps. These networks are still expected to reach speeds of 30 Mbps in the future. Digital technology. It incorporates mobile broadband for Internet access and the services provided by the Web. Running multimedia files. Voice and data transfer while allowing, among other things, video calls. Data transmission only as program download and instant messaging.
4G: LTE, UMB, WiBro, WiMAX.
Speed of 100 Mbps. In some tests carried out by operators, it has reached 150Mbps. The type of network is the most efficient LTE Frequency Division Duplex (FDD stands for Frequency Division Duplex ), which uses separate bands for sending and receiving operations. It is deployed in a wide variety of spectrum bands and operates in various bandwidths up to 20 MHz. By 2012, it became the most spectrally efficient mobile broadband
As it is logical to suppose, there are many interesting technicalities around this topic, but what the owner of a smartphone really needs to know is the impact of these LTE 4G networks on the service provided by their operating company and what are the benefits of have a smartphone that has access to this type of wireless connection. Here are some of its advantages:
- LTE provides maximum download speeds around 100 megabytes per second, while the upload is around 50 Mbps.
- It assures users of the necessary support for mobility and compatibility between systems (connectivity with other networks), with which the broadband service can be used anytime, anywhere.
- It gives every smartphone with access to 4G networks the possibility of connecting from and in any country in the world at similar speeds and in some cases higher than traditional broadband.
- From their smartphones, users will be able to connect to the Internet with speeds ten times faster than through 3G networks, therefore the improvement in terms of Web browsing is enormous.
- Ability to carry out, without any kind of cuts, videoconference, and video calls with high-quality image and sound, as well as to carry out live and direct transmissions.
- LTE 4G compatible smartphones allow you to share high definition multimedia data. You can download a 700 MB video in just 90 seconds.
- Thanks to these high-speed networks you will enjoy network games even more, with better definition and greater properties.
- Watching television in high definition and 3D is another true possibility with 4G LTE.
- This technology also allows streaming in high definition and in real-time, without interruptions or waiting time for the buffer. As an example we can mention the YouTube videos, which you will see with higher quality.
- The data transfer will run more quickly.
- The speed will not impose limits on you to have the largest number of applications on your smartphone.
- You can upload photos and videos from a digital camera in real-time from anywhere.
What is a router
A router is a network device that is responsible for carrying traffic on the right path. In your house, you will surely have one that is the one that connects you to the Internet.
Routers work using IP addresses to know where the data packets have to go, not the way it happens in the switches. Thanks to these addresses, which are unique to each machine, this device can know where to send the package.
What is the difference with a switch?
A switch operates within a local area network. Your job is to send the traffic to that machine that has to receive it. To do this, it uses the MAC, or physical address and not its IP. This prevents collisions between the data of machines that are not dialoguing between them within a local area network.
A router connects subnets that can hold thousands of potential computers and be hundreds of kilometers apart. As you can see its functionalities are not similar.
Some special features
Since routers are in charge of connecting to other networks, such as the Internet, they must include the technology we are using for access, such as ADSL.
Wifi. It is very common to find routers with the addition of a wireless connection that allows you to connect to your laptop, desktop PC, laptop, or tablet. In this way you can power a device through one of its ports.
Intrusion detection and firewall. There is no need to add some security to your network through your router. In this case, there are very advanced models capable of, for example, analyzing emails during the journey to prevent them from reaching their destination full of viruses.
Aspects to consider when buying a router
Speed. On the one hand we have the speed that our Internet access provider will give us and on the other hand, the routers will normally have more than one mouth. The connection between those mouths will be limited to the maximum speed that the router can give us.
This is not a minor issue, you can have cards capable of running at 1 Gigabit per second on your desktop PCs and that your internal home network is only capable of reaching 10 Megabits and end up operating at transfer rates 100 times slower.